Monday, October 17, 2011

Vegan Month of Food - Options for a Luna Bar Addiction

A while back I found myself eating way too many Luna Bars, impossible as that sounds...

I like to eat as many whole foods as possible, limiting my sugar and salt consumption while also cooking more and spending less. It was great to get so much nutrition from one snack though and I wanted to find something that I could make myself that had similar values of micro and macro nutrients, without too much of the bad stuff. I took to the internet and remembered a muffin recipe that would be perfect for filling the void of Luna in my daily food intake, but I decided to add some chocolate chips because that's what I liked so much about Luna Bar. A spoonful of sugar and all that, really does help make my super nutritious snack less nutritious and yummier. It's more fun this way, believe me. So I've been making muffins and adding chocolate chips, I added white chocolate chips once to try to make it more like carrot cake. It worked that way, but I like dark chocolate more and couldn't justify the price of vegan white chocolate chips. I might try it again sometime for variety though.

Now Luna has a coconut bar out that is really tasty, and they were on sale at the store the other day. I bought a box because I haven't had time to bake and need an afternoon snack when I'm at work. I'm basically a three year old. I would take a nap too, but I don't have time for that. I'll be eating Luna Bars happily for a bit, I should be able to bake a batch of muffins soon though. Maybe I'll incorporate coconut into the recipe and replicate the delicious new flavor that may have me falling off the wagon. It's a slippery slope, but one that I don't feel too bad about. I just need to get back to baking, I've been away from it for a bit since getting back from my trip. It's something that I enjoy though and should do more often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home