Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Reading the Furture

I like to re-read many of the fiction books I own, a few non-fiction too because you can never read too much from Eduardo Galeano. Sometimes one needs a little reminder of the realness of the struggle in order to continue moving forward, despite how difficult the future may seem I know others have been on this same path and feel the same highs and lows. The fiction works that keep my interest the most are the stories of fantasy based in history and political theory, what I love most. Even though these stories are based in the past and written long ago, the lessons and meaning stay the same. We are all fighting still for what is right and facing the same threat and the same violence all these years later.

I started re-reading a book told during the time of Pancho Villa and the Mexican Revolution, a love story clearly. The idea of love is explored and the immense power it holds over us, the great force it creates and the energy that is released when two people share an indescribable bond. The protagonist loves someone that she cannot be with, he marries her sister to be nearer to her. This works out pretty bad as anyone might imagine, but that was the only way the young man thought it possible. Later in life they reach an agreement, the two lovers and her sister live together keeping their trysts secret and making sure all seems well publicly. Love is tricky though and jealousies are easy to cultivate when the truth is hidden or distance forces us to be apart from the one we love. It's a force not easily contained and when you try it will always find a way, forcing and pushing and causing whatever damage it may. I'm reminded of a poet that wrote the greatest love poems of all time and his letters to a woman he loved. To be that woman and feel the emotion he wrote with and the expression of his love for her would be amazing. They spent a lot of time apart though and in their letters along with their love and longing, jealousy also betrayed their young hearts. He died and she mourned for an eternity until she made an effort to live and got married and had some kids, but she had a past life filled with passion and heartache. Heartache both from the distance between them and his early death as well as from the great love they shared. As if the actual act of finding their bond was something caused just as much pain as being separated, I guess you could say that makes me a hopeless romantic.

I was feeling uncertain about my own romantic future and did a tarot reading, it came out a little surprising and though there was a lot of "devastation" alluded to I think it'll be fun regardless. Life is painful after all and the scars are the most interesting part, love included. If my life didn't have some adventure in store I would be worried. I'm still a bit down and uncertain about the way things might go, because it is all still unwritten despite my peak into the future. I'll continue to read my books and find myself in the characters as they fall in and out of love in the time of cholera and other revolutions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home