Sunday, October 2, 2011

Vegan Month of Food - two in one

Day 1

Pancakes for breakfast! I went out last night with a friend and drank too much vodka and did not feel that well this morning so I made a really nice breakfast to hopefully scare away the awful hangover. It sort of worked. The pancakes and coffee were delicious regardless.

Pancakes with fresh raspberries and maple syrup with Earth Balance buttery spread, my roommate got the whipped kind. And the recipe is super easy to fallow - 1 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, and 1 cup milk. I like using whole wheat flour and almond milk.

I also made spring rolls. I was traveling in September and haven't been able to go food shopping really so this was a pretty basic meal idea. I had a few sheets of wrappers left and then used shredded zucchini and carrot as the filling with fake chicken strips for protein. The method I use is to place one sheet on a plate and pour boiling water on top to soften it and then assemble the spring roll on a large cutting board. Sometimes the sheets are cracked, which makes it hard to get the perfect roll.


filling heated up with some sriracha sauce, Bragg's, and a bit of maple syrup

All rolled up, the filling was pretty saucy so I just ate them as is. Sweet chili sauce would be good with these too, I might not do the filling the same again though. It was sort of messy with a little too much liquid and a few tears in the wrapper, but really good anyway.

Day 2

I used up the rest of the pancake batter for Sunday morning breakfast, I didn't have anymore fresh raspberries so I used frozen raspberries. Here they are cooking up.





Plated up with maple syrup and Earth Balance, I really need to buy some of my own and not use my roommate's. We share though, I only want to make sure we have some more in the house in case we need more. I don't think there will be a buttery spread emergency anytime soon though, I think I can wait a little while longer before going back to the grocery store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home