Monday, October 24, 2011

Vegan Month of Food - New Friends, Old Friends

A few friends are moving away and I was thinking that maybe it is that time of our lives, or just life in general, when it makes the most sense to move back closer to home.

It's where they would like to settle down and begin a more stable phase of growing up, maybe we already grew up though. They want to be near to those that love and support them the most, but I can't help thinking about what that means for me. These are a few really close friends that have become my support. When they leave it'll feel really lonely around here, I won't have as many opportunities to see them in person and it'll be sad that they'll be so far away. Though it won't be that different, we all have such busy lives it's hard to spend much time together anyway. So we'll be more like pen pals and visits will be planned a little farther in advance. I understand their need to go back home and hope things work out for the best. Part of me also feels that someday we'll live in the same city again, or we'll get better at being long-distance friends. I will also need to think about my own support network and how it will change once they move.

Losing these friends will be hard, they're nice to have around and I worry that with distance we will lose touch as well. I hate to lose them all together, but I also have to think of ways to fill the void they will leave in their place. New friends are hard to make in this city. We set up a lot of boundaries and come off as cold, it's just so hard to break in when you're starting over. The cliques that we formed in high school are still in force, it's so strange to see this and have to deal with it in social situations as an adult. Maybe it's the rain? So I'll work on friendships and hope to find a closer friend in the general pool of acquaintances. I'll have fun, it's like dating!

One friend I'm getting closer to went out with me with a few others to a concert, somehow I ended up needing to leave before the headliner. I was really sleepy. We all left in search of tacos together, the plan was to go to a restaurant nearby. That was changed to getting into a cab and driving really far away to a different restaurant for nachos. I think I could have ordered a salad there, but I was more into drinking water and trying to keep up with the conversation. Not a very vegan friendly bar, thus this post has nothing to do with vegan food other than the fact I wish we had gone somewhere I could have eaten. A great night though, well on my way to finding anew best friend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home