Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Communication Blackout

Lately I have been wrapped up in my own weird drama, placing importance on my day-to-day emotional upheavals. I lose perspective of what is real and what I have misplaced, focusing on my own small piece of a much larger picture. I lost my Queen Bee wallet on Solstice. It was perfect, a beautiful extension of my own self. And I feel such regret for letting myself become so completely emotionally attached to an object. It was a part of me and who I identify as, thus the loss was something I could hardly bear. There were inconsolable tears, and I'm ashamed to admit a bit of grieving. Grieving? This makes sense for a Queen Bee Creations. They're special in the most perfect way. Mine was green with two colors of blue leaves and stitching that carried the eye along an invisible breeze. Like I said: perfect. How will I go on? How will I be able to even think of finding a replacement?

And all the while a very real and very dangerous political liberation is (re)interpreting itself. The young and old joining their voices in the street despite the threat of death, more of a promise really.

Who is documenting this, who will remember what they did if their struggle against a government plagued by tyranny is not recorded for all to see?

Men and women die in the street as cowards with guns fight to keep a hold on the power they have and the position of privilege so easily enjoyed. In this moment there is power in the presence of the crowds in the streets, or the bazaar, and the quiet anger that is peace. There is a shift occurring and a demand for a vote that was stolen while the whole world was watching. And in this moment there is a clear line of who is right and who is wrong. We know which side to stand for and we know what has to be fought for.

Who is documenting this? Iran's government is doing everything possible to shut down the media, every outlet losing access to those of us watching from the outside. Friends waiting for an email to get through while the Internet is up, a phone call closely monitored, and the social networking sites that connect us all serving as a lifeline. This is the moment that will define the movement and carry it forward.

And then what happens?

My college studies come back to me and haunt the images and stories coming through, what will happen to those that live and triumph in the end? History is cyclical and will always come back around. Is this just the beginning of another thirty years?

Why worry about that though, we are living in the moment of change and experiencing a new era? Perhaps the cycle of oppressor/oppressed will end tonight as the day ends and a new one begins. Why fight for anything if it all just ends up the same?

I'll try to keep things in perspective while finding a new wallet, it won't be perfect and I won't mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home