Saturday, November 29, 2008

Karma Settles It

A few days ago I was bumming out about a lost friend. This person swept into my life quite suddenly and left just as fast, without explanation. This left me feeling a little lost and a bit confused once I learned what was actually happening.

I got stuck in a huge circle of whys, without answers. And it just kept going.

I was feeling pretty bad, but trying to see the whole picture and working on moving past the hurt feelings and on to what is happening now. Focusing on the moment of now and the simple act of being present.

This was all putting me off a little, spending a bit too much time inside my head and not enough of actually paying attention. So to clear my thoughts and enjoy an afternoon free from work I headed out on a quick ride to a park. I sat and read for a while, but when the air got a little chilly and the sun was getting low I figured I should head home. And as I rode along my mind continued to drift and my focus was somewhere far away as I attempted to turn on my front light. This wasn't a good idea and I realized that it probably wasn't good that at the same time I was also braking, the front brake.

I lost it in the middle of a street crowded with rush hour drivers. I gathered myself and bike out of the road and made for the sidewalk to silently curse and catch my breath, checking to see if my throbbing elbow would need medical attention. It probably didn't.

I stood there lost and angry.

I was out of sorts completely. I tried to calm my shaking nerves and racing heart. I found my glasses had also broken when I fell, I had another pair at home though. What a stupid mistake. How did I end up in such a mess.

Then a stranger walked out to me and asked if I was okay. It was really nice to have someone reach out and see if I needed any help. I assured him I would be fine and began to pick up and make my home. As we parted he handed me a card and suggested I check out his music some time. This took me out of the whole accident and made me smile. Life, after all, is made up of these interactions and unexpected paths crossing. As I walked I looked closer at the card and saw the work 'optimist' listed along with a few other descriptives and an address.

OPTIMIST

Suddenly the entire universe was playing a trick and I had to smile again, laughing out loud. It was like a spiritual swift kick to the head. Everything that had been knocked out of place and bothering me quickly took to their proper alignments and my mind cleared. I became certain once more and grateful for such seeming cosmic intervention.

Something important had happened and made everything a little more clear. 

There will always be new friends and new lessons, some may stay around for some time and others are just here overnight. They enter into our dreams and leave us in the morning with only a small remembrance of what it was to experience their presence. Live every day open to these experiences and the adventures that await because of them.

As I walked home that evening the sunset was amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home