Saturday, November 8, 2008

Three little birds...


On election night I cooked dinner and listened to the radio as the polls closed. I was tired; I had worked a little late and volunteered as is the usual for a Tuesday night. There were election parties around town that sounded fun, but I just wasn't sure if I had the energy to rally and go out to celebrate. We were winning though and it was exciting to listen with my roommate as polls closed on the West Coast and our new president-elect was announced. 

My roommate headed out for a drink with friends and I tagged along, just one and then to bed. Instead of a bar we ran into a party on the street, a crush of people walking from every direction to stop traffic at an intersection and celebrate with rest of the world. It was pure joy and elation, cries and shuts erupting with signs and flags waving. We did it, we won. The cops were there to keep it all contained, but they took a hands-off approach. Letting us celebrate, drinking openly and climbing atop anything and everything. We felt a sense of unity and pride that night, everywhere the same thing was happening - Hope and Change.

While we were dancing in the streets participating in democracy and group sings of the national anthem California passed Prop 8. There it was on a friend's iPhone, there is still more that needs to be changed and something we all must work harder for. The news put a different spin on the night, but it just means it isn't over. More is already being done, there's still hope and a promise for change. Boycott Utah, attend a rally, and let your friends and family in California know why supporting gay marriage is right.

For now I'll enjoy the crisp fall weather we have today, the flooding rains seem to be taking a break for the weekend. I still can't quite believe what our future looks like. Every news item I've been reading lately leads me to feeling so proud and excited. We have a president-elect that can string together sentences and will give press conferences with actual answers. For now I'll just sit back and let it all sink in because it's gonna be a long one. The easy part is over, now the actual work begins. And we'll do it together, every thing's gonna be alright.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home